Did you know there are over 30 wineries in the lower mainland and more than 30 wineries scattered across the islands? That means there are over 60 local wineries right in Vancouver’s backyard!
On February 24th, the Sensory Symposium Salon Series at VV Tapas Lounge will host two all-star panel sessions exploring the issues facing local wineries and positioning this wine as “local” in the minds of Vancouver wine consumers. Throughout the evening, 8 different local wines will be sampled so the attendees can taste the unique terroir and award-winning flavours as the panelists speak to these issues.
Keynote Address: Peter Van de Reep, B.C.’s top Sommelier in 2020
The two panels will feature a speaker and wines from Unsworth Vineyards, Blue Grouse Estate Winery, Kutatás Wines, and Averill Creek Vineyard. The panels will also include the following 6 speakers that are among the top in their fields:
- Matthew Landry: B.C.’s top Sommelier in 2019, winner of the B.C. Tasting Games, and wine director at the Stablehouse Bistro.
- Laura Starr: Freelance writer, sommelier, wine editor at VITA Magazine, and Vice-Chair of the BC Hospitality Foundation.
- Shawn Jones: Sommelier and general manager at Old Bird.
- Jessica Luongo: Director & co-founder at AmoVino Distributors Ltd.
- Sean Nelson: B.C.’s top Sommelier in 2018, sommelier at Hawksworth Restaurant Group and owner of Somm Wine Guy Consulting.
- Louise Fedyk: Massey Wine & Spirits.
5:00-5:30pm: Doors open, light snacks available.
5:30-6:45pm: Keynote Address and Seminar #1, including 4 wine samples.
6:45-7:45pm: Networking with charcuterie-style food & wine from Seminar #1
7:45-9:00pm: Seminar #2, including 4 wine samples.
9:00-10:00pm: Networking and wine from Seminar #2.
Proceeds from the event will benefit the Greater Vancouver Food Bank, which is accessed by 8,000 people every week. For every $1 donated, $3 of food can be purchased – donations can also be made directly by clicking here.
The Sensory Symposium Salon Series is proudly sponsored by Andrew Peller Limited, EMKAO fair trade chocolate, Massey Wines & Spirits, AmoVino Wine & Spirits, Town Hall Brands, Sani-Marc, and Nuance Winery Supplies.
About the Sensory Symposium Events
Hosted by Terroir Consulting, Silk & Coupe and Sirocco Insights, the Sensory Symposium series is an in-depth discussion with BC winemakers about current topics. The May 2019 inaugural Sensory Symposium featured three winemaker panels discussing Women in Wine, Natural Wine and Sustainability/Sensory Diversity in BC.
Read the consumer research results conducted at the first Sensory Symposium by Terroir Consulting’s Darcen Esau.